Here it is my “basically a meal in a bowl” oatmeal. Have never had a soul turn up a nose at this concoction. Nose is too busy smelling that wonderful apple cinnamon aroma!
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 finely diced medium apple ( fuji reccomeneded )
- 1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oatmeal ( quick 1 minute )
- 1 finely diced banana
- half and half
- Add the water, raisins, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and apple to a medium sauce pan and bring to a solid boil for two minutes to soften the apple a bit.
- Dump in the oatmeal and banana and let boil for a full minute.
- Remove from heat. Oatmeal may be thick and dark brown. Pour in half and half while stirring (like you would add cream to coffee) until the oatmeal is light tan and thinned to a more fluid consistency. Note that the oatmeal will thicken as it cools and you should serve it immediately or put the half and half on the table for people to add later.
- Top with chopped nuts (pecan pieces are my fav), granola, toasted coconut etc for a bit o' crunch,