Have not had any of this for years so saw a recipe on Facebook and gave it a go. It turned out great so am putting it here. You can find the original here.
Note that you will want to use a stand mixer if possible and for best results make this candy on a non-humid day.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1/2 cup cherries (optional)
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
- Cook to hardball stage, (260 degrees), stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, as temperature of syrup reaches 250 degrees, beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
- When syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and beat until candy holds its shape, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts or cherries, if desired.
- Quickly drop candy from a teaspoon onto waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.