Greg’s Chicken Chili Chowder
Jump to recipe
So I ventured online looking for a chicken tortilla soup recipe and from a scan of the ingredients in most I was not impressed by the weak show of spices. That and in interest of trimming the carbs and calories I intended to take the tortilla out of tortilla soup. So I punched the flavor up about 200% and have labeled it more properly a chowder. This spicy concoction is now on the food roster – barely any leftovers after its debut. 🙂
Greg's Chicken Chili Chowder
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 3 Tbps olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 4tsp minced garlic
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 12oz beer (Modelo or Tecate are good cooking beers)
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cayenne (red) pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a medium stock pot, salt and pepper chicken and cook the chicken until lightly brown and cooked through. Set chicken aside.
- Dump in the onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is soft.
- Dump in the corn, beans, tomatoes, chilies, soup and beer. Stir well until the soup is blended in.
- Shred chicken and add to the pot.
- Add in the chili powder, cilantro, cumin and cayenne. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let cook 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.