Mom’s Red Soup
Jump to recipe
This is some of the best soup ever – a hearty tomato based beef and vegetable that goes together quick! My mom made this for me and my sister when we were growing up and nothing warms you up faster on a cold blustery day. This recipe makes a lot of soup which is great because after refrigerating and reheating – it just gets better.
When my mom would ask what do you want for dinner I would respond “Make the red soup!” hence the title. 🙂
- 1.5 - 2lb Chuck Roast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 can tomato juice
- 3 cans mixed vegetables
- 1 can cut green beans
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder salt and pepper on roast in pressure cooker, fill pressure cooker with water just until the meat is submerged.
- Pressure cook roast until you can shred it with a fork. (45min - 1 hour if roast is not tender enough when you first take it off - just put the lid back on and return to the heat)
- Shred roast, discard any fat and gristle and return meat to broth in the pressure cooker.
- Put the pressure cooker back on the stove and heat on high (no lid)
- Pour in tomato juice and all vegetables.
- Add the sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (the sugar just takes the edge off the tomato base - you will not notice the sweetness)
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until serving (unless you are making this way ahead)