Turkey Sloppy Joes
Jump to recipe
Sloppy Joes minus the heartburn. After you taste this you will want to slap the crap out of whoever invented the sloppy joe sauce in a can.
*Squeamish kid or no onion on hand? Omit steps 1,3 and 4 and add one full teaspoon of onion powder to step 6.
**Chop the meat in the skillet fine to help the filling stay in the sandwiches. Ground turkey makes so little grease, unlike ground beef, that you will not have to drain the meat after browning
Try this with toasted chibiata rolls and dill pickle slices mmm...
- 1.2 pound package ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your onion fine.*
- Liberally salt and pepper your block o' ground turkey.
- Put the splash of olive oil in yer favorite skillet and get it hot.
- Toss in the chopped onion and stir for a minute.
- Add the chunk of turkey and with a stiff metal spatula chop and turn and stir until the meat browns.**
- Add the ketchup, mustard, garlic powder and brown sugar and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes.