Mmm Bran Muffins
Jump to recipe
Ok bran muffins probably do not sound well… appetizing but I guarantee you will dig these healthy muffins with your morning coffee. These are lightly sweet and taste like a proper breakfast food rather than a dessert. Bonus they will keep you regular as an atomic clock too. This recipe is from allrecipes.com – you can find it here. I have made this recipe many, many times – always a winner.
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (half-pint)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 375. Get a 12 hole muffin pan or two 6 hole ready with paper muffin liners. (These are cheap and save ALOT of hassle/mess versus greasing the pans)
- You will need two bowls in addition to your mixing bowl. In the first bowl combine the wheat bran and buttermilk. You want the bran to soak up the buttermilk for 10 minutes or so.
- In the second bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In your mixing bowl beat together the oil, egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the bran mixture to the mixing bowl and mix till just combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl slowly until it is just combined.
- Dump in raisins and nuts and mix on low just until they are mixed in.
- Fill your muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.