Jump to recipe
This is a fast and tasty treat to make. Based on a recipe from allrecipes.com that did not go well as directed so not even linking to it here. With the changes I made in the recipe below it came our really good!
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I use pecan pieces)
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- Spread coconut on a baking sheet that has been buttered or better yet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. You want the bulk of the coconut in the center third of the pan so do not worry about spreading it all the way to the edges.
- In a microwave safe bowl mix the sugar and syrup then microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and stir then microwave another 3 minutes.
- Add the nuts, butter and vanilla and stir until the butter is melted and blended in.
- Microwave for one minute.
- Add the baking soda and stir rapidly - the mixture will bubble up a bit.
- Pour on to the coconut and spread to an even thickness.
- Let harden for at least an hour.
- Break apart and chow down!