Spicy Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 3/4 cup diced purple onion
- 1Tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 large or 2 small jalapenos minced with seeds
- 1 lb ground turkey (1.2lb is fine)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- salt (sea salt if you have it) to taste
- black pepper ( fresh ground if you have it) to taste
- 5 or 6 bell peppers (might have an extra handy if you have extra filling)
- Shredded Cheese ( pepper jack is gooood)
- Set the oven for 350. Set a large pan of water to boil (the pan needs to hold your bell peppers)
- Cook your rice. Add the rice to a pot with a cup of water and bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat to a simmer and let simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the bell peppers. Cut the tops off and remove the seeds and membranes so they are like cups. Immerse the peppers in the large pan of boiling water to soften them for 2-3 minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish.
- In a large skillet add enough olive oil to coat the bottom and set the fire to high. Dump in the onion, garlic and jalepeno and cook, stirring constantly until the onion starts to clear.
- Dump in the turkey and add the salt and pepper. Stir and chop up the meat until it is browned.
- Once the turkey is browned dump in the tomato sauce, cilantro and rice. Stir until it is completely mixed. Turn off the heat.
- Fill the bell peppers with the filling. Top each pepper with the shredded cheese. Add about a quarter inch of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes.