Potato and Ham Soup
Category Recipes Soup for you!
*Liz - this recipe will not taste right without the onion so either chop it very fine or substitute 1 Tbsp of onion powder.
**If the potato mixture looks like it doesn't have enough juice add a little water until you can just see it at the surface of the potatoes and then mix in the milk thickener. Due to variations in heat and how much the potatoes absorb the water this happens sometimes.
Original recipe - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/56927/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=56927
Note the original quantities vary a bit and it calls for added salt which this recipe does not need. Mine has a bit more ham that makes up for it.
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced onion*
- 1 cup diced ham
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken bullion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper (do not use too much in this recipe)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- Put potato, celery, onion, ham and water into your soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender (mashable but not falling apart).
- Stir in black pepper and chicken bullion.
- Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat and whisk in the flour and let cook, while constantly whisking, for a minute. Slowly add in milk while stirring constantly. Keep stirring for 4-5 minutes until the mixture thickens up. It will be not quite as thick as pudding.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup pot.** Your soup is ready to serve!