I have made this pie on several occasions both with sugar and without and it comes out tasting practically the same either way. Oh and how it tastes is pretty amazing too. Here is a link to the original recipe as you will note this is a really quick pie to put together as well. Following is the more diabetic friendly version. Note the change in the instructions I made about adding the strawberries to the saucepan rather than dumping the glaze over them in the pie shell – this works better and keeps voids out of the pie.
Strawberry Pie – Diabetic Friendly
- 1 pie shell, 9inch, baked
- 4 cups strawberries, fresh and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup light agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 packet of sugar free strawberry gelatin
- 1 tub sugar free cool whip
- In medium saucepan, mix water, agave nectar, and cornstarch and bring to boil. Boil until mixture is clear and thick, approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the strawberry gelatin, stirring until dissolved.
- Dump the sliced strawberries into the pan and mix gently until all the berries are coated.
- Pour the mixture into a baked pie shell.
- Let the pie chill in the fridge and once cold top with the sugar free cool whip.